Difference between SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2012
Read Time:1 Minute, 27 Second
Many New Features have been provided with the New SQL Server 2012. In this Blog I had provided these features in the way of difference between the older and New version of SQl Server.
SQL Server 2012
- Its Code Name is Denali.
- Its have unlimited concurrent connections.
- New Function Are available such as CONCAT(), FORMAT() and TRY_CONVERT().
- Data visualization is available by which we can take snapshot of data.
- It Use 48 bit precision for Spatial Calculation.
- In this Server, server down time is reduced by 50% , hence OS patching is not rebooting n times.
- This Server Have high availability and disaster recovery factor has been introduced which duplicates the data and rapidly recovers the loss.
- In SQL Server 2012, the performance is 10 times faster than the predecessor.
- Buffer rate is high in SQL Server 2012 because of data compression.
- Support for persistent computed columns and extra geographical approach is possible with spatial features in SQL Server 2012.
SQL Server 2008
- Its Code Name is Kilimanjaro.
- Its have limited concurrent connections which are 32767.
- There are No New Function Are available such as CONCAT(), FORMAT() and TRY_CONVERT().
- There are No Data visualization available by which we can take snapshot of data.
- It Use 27 bit precision for Spatial Calculation.
- In this Server, rebooting is requisite for OS patching , hence server down time is high.
- This Server does not have this feature of availability groups, hence fast recovery is not possible.
- SQL Server 2008 is slow compared to SQL Server 2012.
- Buffer rate is less because there is no data redundancy in SQL Server 2008.
- Spatial features are not supported more in SQL Server 2008 R2. Instead a traditional way for geographical elements have been set in SQL Server 2008.